Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pizza Margherita

Pizza may not seem like a travel related topic at first but Pip and I are pizza lovers and have started making our own from scratch.

It all started with baking our own bread from raw ingredients back in New Zealand. Upon returning from Italy in 2012, we'd tasted a range of different pizzas from some local Pizzerias and decided to give it a try from start to finish.

Growing up with Dominoes and Pizza Hut, I was used to thick based pizzas packed within an inch of their lives with toppings. Italy taught me that simple but strong flavours make the best pizzas and I tend to agree.

They don't come much simpler than a Margherita. Pizza dough, chopped tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. We made one this evening and it tasted amazing. I cannot wait to have our own house one day because I plan on building an outdoor pizza oven.

We decided to take some photos of the process today, just for fun.

The dough, ready to rise.

Pip kneads the dough,

Pip rolls the dough into a pizza base.

Adding the final touches to the Margherita.

The final product, moments before it was devoured.